Announcements

• WGCA Announces Creation of The Juli Inkster Senior Award

The Women’s Golf Coaches Association (WGCA) has announced the creation of a new award, The Juli Inkster Senior Award.

“This is a great honor to have this award named after me,” said Inkster.  “It’s a privilege to be able to play college golf at all levels. To have a player be honored for her commitment to the school, coaches and her teammates is what this award is about.”

“On behalf of the Women’s Golf Coaches Association, I’d like to thank Juli for her support of this award as well as the college golf experience,” said WGCA President Todd Oehrlein. “To have our top ranked seniors recognized with an award bearing her name is an incredible honor. We’re thrilled to have the opportunity to create this award.”

The Juli Inkster Senior Award will be an annual award administered by the WGCA recognizing the highest ranked women's collegiate golfer in her final year of NCAA eligibility. The award will be presented at the completion of the school year and will be awarded separately to the top Division I, II and III players. The recipient must be academically eligible per NCAA rules and have played a minimum of 15 rounds (Division I) or 12 rounds (Division II and III) during the year.  Both the Golfstat and Golfweek Sagarin Rankings will be incorporated to determine the average ranking. 

A three-time All-American at San Jose State University, Inkster was named the 1982 Broderick Award recipient. From 1980 to 1982 she won three consecutive U.S. Women's Amateurs, becoming the first woman since 1934 to do so. She turned professional in 1983 and has since racked up 31 career LPGA wins and seven major championship victories. Inkster has also represented Team USA at the Solheim Cup nine times, which was the American record at the time of her last appearance as a player in the 2011 Solheim Cup. In 2012, she was inducted into the WGCA Players Hall of Fame.

The first awards will be presented after the completion of the 2019-20 women’s collegiate golf season. The Division I women’s golf recipient will receive a sponsor exemption into the next Cambia Portland Classic and have the opportunity to spend time with Juli Inkster during a two-day mentorship retreat.