Announcements

• Rachel Heck Sweeps Major Women's Collegiate Golf Awards

Rachel Heck, Stanford University freshman, has been named both the 2020-21 Division I PING WGCA Player of the Year and the 2020-21 Division I WGCA Freshman of the Year Presented by StrackaLine, the organization’s highest player honors for the 2020-21 season. The awards were announced today at the 2021 NCAA Division I Women’s Golf Championship being held at Grayhawk Golf Club in Scottsdale, Arizona.

Recognized annually as the top honor in women's collegiate golf, the PING WGCA Player of the Year is awarded to the best player in Division I, II, III and NAIA women's golf. The award was first given in 1987 and the names of recipients reads as a who's who of the best of the ladies game including Amanda Blumenherst (3-time), Lorena Ochoa (2-time) and Annika Sorenstam. The recipient is selected by a prestigious collection of women’s collegiate golf coaches who follow criteria that has been established to identify the finest player for the past year. These criteria include:

• Head to head competition
    • Comparison with common opponents
    • Scoring average
    • Place finishes in regular season events and tournament wins
    • Strength of schedule

The WGCA Freshman of the Year Presented by StrackaLine is awarded annually to the top Freshman in Division I, II, III and NAIA women's golf and is selected by a prestigious collection of women’s collegiate golf coaches.

Heck, a native of Memphis, Tenn., became Stanford's first individual National Champion on Monday, finishing with a 72-hole score of 280 (-8) to claim the title. It was the freshman’s sixth title of the season, which is already tied for fourth-most in a career in school history, and she became just the third collegiate woman to win her Conference, Regional and National titles in the same season. Heck also set a new NCAA record with a 69.72 scoring average this season.