The WGCA has announced its watch list for the 2017-18 PING WGCA Division I Player of the Year and 2017-18 Division I Freshman of the Year. Both awards will be announced after medal play at the upcoming NCAA Championship.
The PING WGCA Player of the Year Award is awarded annually to the best player in Division I women’s golf. The top 60 players from the Golfstat and Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings are considered. Each player must complete a minimum of 15 rounds during the competitive year including NCAA Regional Championships.
Player of the Year Watch List
- Maria Fassi, JR, University of Arkansas. Leads Division I with a 69.43 scoring average. She placed in the top-10 at every tournament this season, including six first-place finishes. Won the NCAA Austin Regional title.
- Lilia Vu, JR, UCLA. Averaging 69.64 and has seven top-five finishes, including four wins. She placed first at the Battle of the Beach, Northrop Grumman Regional Challenge, Bruin Wave Invitational and Wildcat Invitational. She also tied for first at the Pac-12 Championships.
- Patty Tavatanakit, FR, UCLA. Scoring average of 70.20 and has six top-three finishes, including four wins. She won both the Pac-12 Championships and the NCAA San Francisco Regional.
- Lauren Stephenson, JR, University of Alabama. Has a 69.60 scoring average and eight top-three finishes, including wins at the Mason Rudolph Championship and the Liz Murphy Collegiate Classic.
- Andrea Lee, SO, Stanford University. Averaging 70.73 and has eight top-10 finishes. She placed first at the Branch Law Firm/Dick McGuire Invitational, Stanford Intercollegiate and Pac-12 Preview. Lee won the 2016-17 WGCA Freshman of the Year Award.
- Leona Maguire, SR, Duke University. Scoring average of 70.41. She has nine top-10 finishes with three wins, including the ACC Championship title. Maguire is a two-time PING WGCA Player of the Year, winning the award in both 2016-17 and 2014-15.
The WGCA Freshman of the Year Award is awarded annually to the top Freshman in Division I, II and III women's golf. Freshman must have competed in a minimum of 15 competitive rounds to be considered.
Freshman of the Year Watch List
- Patty Tavatanakit, FR, UCLA. Leads all Division I freshmen with a scoring average of 70.20. Her four tournament wins include victories at the Pac-12 Championships and the NCAA San Francisco Regional.
- Kaitlyn Papp, FR, University of Texas. Averaging 71.52. Her eight top-10 finishes include two victories and a fourth-place finish at the Big 12 Championship.
- Emilia Migliaccio, FR, Wake Forest University. Scoring average of 71.41 and has six top-10 finishes, including a win at the Mercedes-Benz Collegiate.