Announcements

• WGCA Announces Division I Watch List for Player and Freshman of the Year

The WGCA has announced its watch list for the 2016-17 PING WGCA Division I Player of the Year and 2016-17 Division I Freshman of the Year. Both awards will be announced after medal play at the upcoming NCAA Championship.

The PING WGCA Player of the Year Award is awarded annually to the best player in Division I women’s golf.  The top 60 players from the Golfstat and Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings are considered.  Each player must complete a minimum of 15 rounds during the competitive year including NCAA Regional Championships. 

Player of the Year Watch List
    Leona Maguire, JR, Duke University. Has a 70.00 scoring average and seven top five finishes with three wins, including a victory at the ACC Championships. Maguire won both the 2014-15 PING WGCA Player of the Year Award and the 2014-15 WGCA Freshman of the Year Award.
    Andrea Lee, FR, Stanford University. Scoring average of 71.42 with seven top five finishes. She has tournament victories at the Windy City Collegiate Championship, East Lake Cup and Peg Barnard Invitational.
    Jennifer Kupcho, SO, Wake Forest University. Averaging 70.22 and has seven top five finishes, including three wins. She placed first at the NCAA Athens Regional and runner-up at the ACC Championship.
    Cheyenne Knight, SO, University of Alabama. Has a 70.39 scoring average with six top five finishes, including a runner-up finish at the NCAA Athens Regional. Knight won the 2015-16 WGCA Freshman of the Year Award.
    Martina Edberg, SR, California State University, Fullerton. Scoring average of 71.34 with 10 top five finishes, including six wins. Edberg won the Big West Championship and finished runner-up at the NCAA Albuquerque Regional.

Freshman of the Year Watch List
    Andrea Lee, FR, Stanford University. Has a 71.42 scoring average and seven top five finishes, including three wins.
    Kristen Gillman, FR, University of Alabama. Averaging 71.11 and has five top five finishes, including a victory at the Bryan National Collegiate.
    Pimnipa Panthong, FR, Kent State University. Scoring average 71.06. Her eight top five finishes include two victories.

About the Women’s Golf Coaches Association

The Women’s Golf Coaches Association, founded in 1983, is a non-profit organization representing women’s collegiate golf coaches. The WGCA was formed to encourage the playing of college golf for women in correlation with a general objective of education and in accordance with the highest tradition of intercollegiate competition. Today, the WGCA represents over 600 coaches throughout the U.S. and is dedicated to educating, promoting and recognizing both its members and the student-athletes they represent. 

# # #